Welcome to the Saturday, May 20, 2017, 8th Annual
Chelmsford-Westford PMC Kids Ride!
THERE'S A LOT RIDING ON THIS
2017 CHELMSFORD-WESTFORD PMC KIDS RIDE ONLINE HANDBOOK
The Pan Mass Challenge raises money for life-saving cancer research and treatment at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute through an annual bike-a-thon that crosses the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Since its founding in 1980, the PMC has successfully melded committed cyclists, volunteers and corporate sponsors and individual contributors. All are essential to the PMC's goal model: to attain maximum fundraising efficiency while increasing its annual gift. The PMC's hope and aspiration is to provide the DFCI's researchers and doctors with the necessary resources to discover cures for all cancers.
Chelmsford-Westford PMC Kids Ride Mission
To bring together the energy of the youth with the guidance of adults for an event that echoes the goals of the PMC infrastructure's long standing history in doing our part for society as a whole in helping to find a cure for cancer and save lives.
* This is a great way to get your child/children involved in cycling and raising money for cancer research.
- Since 1980, the PMC has raised: $547,000,000.
- In 2016, the PMC raised: $47,000,000.
- The 2016 Kids Ride Program raised: Over $730,000
PMC Social Media Videos from 2016
We would like to share the 2016 year’s reveal. Click on these links to view the videos:
2017 PMC Chelmsford-Westford Kids Ride Day's Schedule
Hub Location of this event: Heart Pond, 50-72 Pond Street, Chelmsford
Registration commencement for On-site registration & check-in for online registrants: 8:00AM
Opening Ceremonies & National Anthem: 8:50AM
Departure for All riders for all routes: 9:00AM
Annual Post-ride Celebration Party with games, bouncy house, music, ice cream bar, food/drinks, raffles and more: 9:30AM-1:00PM
Kids Ride Routes
With this PMC Kids Ride
event taking place in Chelmsford & bordering Westford, we have named our
routes as associated with each town's mascots.
1) Tikes on Trikes Ride for
Tiny Tots: The Simba-Casper the Friendly Ghost Route
We will have an area located in the Heart Pond's parking lot for young children riding on tricycles, bikes
with training wheels or any adult assisted, ride-on to participate in this
year's Chelmsford-Westford PMC Kids Ride! The kids can ride this fun rotary loop as
frequently as they wish. No distance limit.
2) 3 Mile Route: The Cub Ride
This ride will start from the Heart Pond parking lot and
head South towards the Westford town line (intersection of Acton Road/Rt. 27 & Griffin Road) and reverse
direction taking the kids back to Heart Pond parking lot. (~ 1.5 mi to/from
3) 5.4 Mile Route: The Lion Ride
This ride will start from Heart Pond and head North towards the Agway and head towards the Chelmsford Center Brickhouse Pizza and reverse direction cycling back
to Heart Pond. (~2.7mi to/from the pond).
4) 13.5 Mile Route: The Grey
This ride is for the older, more experienced
cyclist and those looking for a challenge in the form of distance. This ride
will start from Heart Pond and head North to the Chelmsford Center Brickhouse Pizza Restaurant, reverse direction and head back towards Heart Pond and continue on the bike path to the Westford border and then
reverse direction back to Heart Pond. (~6.7 mi loop to/from the pond).
- If kids are interested in riding more than 13.5 miles, we have adults
who are available to accompany your child/children for a distance up to 15+ miles. Please
notify Tina Williams of your distance request(s).
- Click on the Orange "REGISTER" tab on the right side of your computer/phone screen.
- This ride is participating in the '47 registration incentive - $20 coupon for each riders' registration fee collected for a shopping spree at their '47 Store at Fenway thru 12/31/2017.
Freeman Bike Path Safety
- Organization and safety will be our highest priority.
- For all route options, there will be staggered start
times based upon age, distance cycling and riders per route.
- There will be adult supervision via an experienced
cyclist riding alongside all the kids provided for all routes.
- There will be a PMC adult volunteer &/or a
Chelmsford or Westford Auxiliary Police Officer at each
- These intersections along the Bruce Freeman Bike Path
are lightly traveled and will be identified by bright orange road cones
and a PMC volunteer &/or Chelmsford or Westford Police Officer(s).
- All PMC volunteers will be easily identified by their
PMC 2017 Volunteer t-shirts being worn.
Road Safety/Mandatory Requirements for Participation
- All cyclists, kids and adults must wear a US Consumer Product Safety Commission-approved helmet.
- Headphones, iPods and radios are NOT permitted while riding.
- Ride safely and keep control of your bike at all times.
- Use hand signals when changing directions & announce if you are slowing/stopping.
- Obey the instructions given by Chelmsford/Westford Police & PMC Volunteers.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Please allow ample space between your bike and the ones in front and behind you.
two medical professionals coordinating this event. Tina Williams is a Physician
Assistant and Michele Bettinelli is a Critical Care RN. Both will be
available to care for Basic First Aid. Any situation requiring greater
attention will be treated a the nearest medical facility via ambulance. Both
Fire Departments in Chelmsford & Westford will be notified of the event's
location and date.
Kick-off & Rendezvous
Prior to the kids cycling, during their rides' routes and after the kids all return, please enjoy the food and beverages for your pleasure as well as a full ice cream bar for a big congratulations for everyones' participation. There will also be face painting, PMC poster boards to decorate, music supplied by WROR, outdoor games/toys, a bouncy house to enjoy and a raffle! Restroom facilities will be available as well. We will have a photographer capturing our excitement to share with the PMC community and local news.
The most integral part of this event is our contribution to the 2017 PMC gift to Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and being involved in providing the necessary funding to assist the researchers find cures for all cancers. The PMC requires each cyclist to raise $25, but more is greatly appreciated. There are rewards given to those kids who raise much more than $25. The deadline for 2017 collections will be in the Fall of 2017 and the PMC Kids Ride Coordinator will notify you of this date.
- Riders who raise $250+ are considered PMC Heavy Hitters. All PMC heavy hitters also receive a PMC string backpack.
- Riders who raise $750+ become Breakaway Fundraisers and will receive a special New Balance PMC backpack.
Tips for Fundraising
- Start early.
- Send out hand-written letters or emails to your friends & family.
- Have a fundraising party.
- Use Social Media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Twitter) to help spread the word you are riding this event.
- If you need any help with fundraising, please ask Tina Williams, your ride coordinator for help.
PMC Social Media
Please tag all of your PMC posts, pictures and comments with #PMCKids2017
You can follow the PMC at:
Here is some proof that the PMC is making a difference in savings kids' lives & may be used for fundraising:
Childhood cancer survival rates have improved from 5%-50% in 1960 to 65%-95% in 2007.
2017 Chelmsford-Westford PMC Kids Ride Coordinators
Tina Williams & Michele Bettinelli
Like us on Facebook