The Children's Online Privacy Protection Act ("COPPA") requires that we inform parents and legal guardians about how we collect, use, and disclose personal information from children under 13 years of age. While we do not intend for children, including children under 13, to submit any personal information on this web site, we want to explain how we manage any information that we receive from a parent about a child under 13 years of age. Also, when we use the term "parent" below, we mean to include legal guardians.
1. What types of personal information do we collect from parents about children?
The Pan-Mass Challenge has a series of charity bike rides and activities geared toward children and a web site, kids.pmc.org, as well as a link from our pmc.org web site, that provides information on rides for children, a photo gallery of events, fundraising pages, registration, and a calendar. Anyone can surf pmc.org and kids.pmc.org, and view content without any personal information being collected. We do not collect personal information about children unless a parent registers them on the PMC Kids portion of the website. The only information we collect about children during our registration process is a child's first name, last name, parent's e-mail address, and the child's birth date. We do not collect or require any other personally identifiable information about children during our registration process. We do not collect a child's e-mail address and we would not send any correspondence or newsletter to a child directly. Note that all sites that are directed to children under 13 are prohibited by law from conditioning a childs participation in an online activity on the kid's providing more personal information than is reasonably necessary.
2. How do we use and share the personally identifiable information that we collect about children?
We use information that we collect during the registration process only for the purposes of that registration and the childs participation in the specific ride or event. When a parent registers a child for an event, there will be an opportunity to customize a personal event web page for the child, primarily to facilitate the parents and/or childs fundraising effort. Creation of a personal event web page is not a requirement of registration, and any information submitted for such a page is submitted for such a page entirely voluntarily. The personal event web page may include personal photos and personal details, or may only display generally applicable photos and descriptions that we provide. If a parent chooses to provide personal photos and information, this information will be visible to people who visit this page in connection with an event.
We may also include on our pmc.org web site or our kids.pmc.org web site photos of ride participants, as described in the registration agreement that a parent accepts during the registration process. We will not identify any child in any photos or images that appear on these web sites or other promotional material, except of course to the extent that a parent posts a photo of a child on the childs personal event web page. In addition, we may share a child's personal information with third parties to the extent reasonably necessary to: help us run the web site and events, protect the security or integrity of our sites, take precautions against liability, or respond to judicial process; or, to the extent permitted under provisions of law, to provide information to law enforcement agencies or for an investigation related to public safety.
3. How do we notify and obtain consent from parents for the collection of information from their children?
We send parents an e-mail to confirm that their child has been registered for a particular ride or event. Once a parent has registered a child, the child will not be able to enter future events without a separate, paid registration from the parent.
4. How can parents access, change or delete personally identifiable information about their children?
At any time, parents can refuse to provide us information about their child and can request that any personal information we have collected be deleted from our records. We use two methods to allow parents to access, change, or delete the personally identifiable information that we have collected from them about their children.
1. A parent can access, change, or delete his or her child's personal information by logging on to the account at the PMC Kids website located at kids.pmc.org. The parent will need to select the ride for which their child is registered and have the child's user name and password used initially to register the child. There are instructions on the PMC Kids home page explaining how to recover a password if you have forgotten it.
2. A parent can contact our Volunteer and Kids Ride Coordinator to access, change, or delete the personal information that we have collected about his or her child by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the childs name and the parent's e-mail address in the e-mail so that we can better assist you with your inquiry or request.
If you need further assistance, please send an e-mail with your questions or comments to email@example.com or write us at:
PMC Kids Ride Coordinator
77 Fourth Avenue
Needham, MA 02494
You may also call us at 781-449-5300 (If you are not 18 years of age or older, you must have your parent or guardian's permission to call this number.)